The beginning of the year is a great time to start forming new good habits. This is, of course, a big reason why making New Year’s resolutions is such a popular thing to do. It’s also a good time to plan to do the things you have been putting off during the holidays or perhaps even longer.
Have you been meaning to make an appointment to have your knee checked? Have you been meaning to check your credit report? Have you been neglecting certain things around your home?
There is perhaps no better time to develop a monthly home maintenance and safety plan. Remember that appliances around your home, just like your car or your computer, need regular maintenance. Being aware of the working condition of your appliances can help you avoid major problems down the road.
Also, if you can schedule maintenance for a regular time of the month, you are more likely to follow through. For example, on the third Saturday of each month mark your calendar (or set up your phone) with a reminder to do monthly home maintenance. If you check back with PBE’s blog each month, we’ll remind you too (but not in a nagging way).
Each month during the year, keep the following maintenance checklist in mind:
- Test and check the batteries in smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors.
- Test the operating condition of any alarm systems or devices. Consider installing an alarm system if you don’t have one already.
- If you need help installing or testing any PBE products, call us at 800-556-3572 or email email@example.com.
- Make sure you know where you have stashed flashlights for emergencies and check their batteries. Keep back-up batteries close by.
- Check, clean, or replace filters where needed. For example, in furnaces or air conditioning units, at return vents, on air purifier machines, etc.
- Remove sediment in hot water heater by draining two gallons of water or have a professional check it.
- Replace the carbon cartridge on water filters.
- Inspect fire extinguishers for proper working condition and check gauge for the charge.
- Check fireplaces for creosol buildup and check for damage to the stovepipe if you have one on the chimney.
- Check breaker box or have a professional check it, especially if fuses blow or trip often.
- Inspect for gas leaks in any gas appliances including furnaces, burners, ovens, etc.
If thinking about tackling the whole list feels a bit overwhelming, plan to do two items each month or every couple of weeks. That’s a great start. We will draw your attention to two items in each of our monthly blog posts throughout the year. So, have you tested the batteries in your smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors lately? Are your alarm system and medical alert devices operating properly? Feel free to contact PBE if we can be of service.
Let’s make 2016 our safest year yet!