When investigating transportation options there are a few things to consider before making a decision about what type of transportation will best keep your loved one connected to all of her activities. In our tip blogs this month, we’ll discuss the more important questions to ask.
Accessibility is one of the biggest factors in solving transportation issues for elderly adults. Often family members are willing to help out, but they may not have a vehicle that can accommodate a wheelchair or they may have a vehicle that sits up too high off of the ground requiring a big step to get into the vehicle. When it comes to transportation accessibility consider the following questions:
- What is the service area?
- Are vehicles wheelchair accessible?
- What time does the service operate?
- Are door-through-door services provided?
- Is a reservation needed and how far in advance?
- Are rides provided in the evenings, on weekends, or on holidays?
- Are rides provided for social as well as medical or shopping appointments?
- If others will be riding in the same vehicle, what is the maximum length of the ride?