The key to making it possible for the seniors in your life to continue living at home is simple— think safety first. Did you know that 40% of nursing home admissions are the result of injuries due to accidental falls?
Avoid a fall suddenly taking away Mom’s independence by taking the proper precautions:
- Correct uneven floors or steps.
- Remove obstructions from hallways and floors.
- Make sure lighting is adequate, especially in hallways and on stairways.
- Install handrails where needed, for example, in showers and around toilets.
- Inspect the home for tripping hazards, such as loose carpeting and unsecured rugs.